Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hand drill friction fire fail

I recently attempted my starting my first fire by friction with a hand drill set I made. My first attempts with the set have been a failure. I only know how friction fire is done in theory so this is a learning experience for me.
My first attempts have been using a cedar hearth board and cedar spindle. The wood heats up and I can get a little bit of smoke but the tree I cut it from was still a little green which I think is my problem.
I recently made a new set from tulip poplar that had fallen quite some time ago. The center of the wood was still pretty wet to the touch so I'm in the process of letting it dry some.
Finding suitable wood for a friction fire and being able to actually start a fire that way are the reasons I would never rely on it as my primary method of making fire.
I prefer to strike a ferro rod with the spine of my knife.
What is your preferred fire making method?
What am I doing wrong when trying to build a friction fire?
Let me know in the comments below and I will keep you up to date on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment